Saturday, January 7, 2012

holiday highlights.

I'm not sure why people say "you tend to slow down" during the holidays. I find it to be just the opposite.  But in a good way.  Maybe they are talking about work?  That I can understand.  I forget that I even have a job when it is the holiday season and, yes, part of it is because I am lucky to have an amazing job that allows time to take a break and regroup.  There's definitely no time to slow down when there is so much to celebrate and be thankful for with lots of family and friends to fill up that time as well as space in your heart.

Thanksgiving was spent, as it always has been, at my Nina's house.  I can't think of a better place to celebrate this holiday.  That shred of graciousness that lives in me somewhere is only present because of my Nina Tuttie.  Truly the kindest and most loving person I know.  So celebrating a day that gives thanks for everything we have in life seems greater felt in her home.  I still tear up when I think about my Nino not being there at the head of the table with us, but I find peace in realizing how many memories I take with me from his time in our lives. 


Christmas week always sets the stage for nonstop family time.  And I love it. There are three birthdays this week, all of which belong to my best friends; Annette (the 21st), Jax (the 22nd), and Justin (the 24th.) We also had our Bake Fest during this week and it was cute to have the little ones help out with the cookie cutting this year.  A few weeks earlier, Riley told us at the Popo's dinner table that her mommy was pregnant.  I can't wait to see more little hands helping us out in the kitchen.  After a ton of going back and forth on my part, Justin bought us both the iPhone 4S for Christmas gifts.  I still can't wrap my head around this cell phone technology, partly because I could care less about talking on the phone and sending text messages.  When I do need/want to call someone I use my home line and my nearest and dearest know that is the best line to call if they want me to actually pick up.  I'm getting used to this little, expensive, too-smart-for-its-own-good phone and I also like to have Siri do all of my dirty work.  Justin and I also had a laugh at giving each other pretty much the same gift.  A few days before Christmas I begged him for a hint and after he said it I connected it to my reasoning for buying him the same thing.  Sure enough, on Christmas Eve we both opened the Nightmare on Elm Street box set and high-fived each other for such an awesome gift.  They were different collector's box sets, though.  On Christmas day, I was happy to have all of my siblings and their families stay for the majority of the time and we even snapped a photo to prove that there really  is a lot of us around the dinner table.  Only Bobby is missing and that is because he was off fighting fires.  Someday we will get a photo of ALL of us.



My cousin Jacob graduated from the fire academy and is now a fireman.  We celebrated New Year's Eve by celebrating him and his awesome accomplishment.  He is now working at the same station and on the same shift as Bobby.  I like how they can still be with family when they are away from their immediate families.  After dancing along with The Michael Jackson Experience and drinking a couple of Purple Hazes, Justin, Nettie and her little ones, and I headed home where we had big plans of playing Dance Central and drinking champagne until midnight, but actually ended up on the couch snuggling the girls and watching a movie.  A great end to a fun year!  

Now it's back to waiting around until we can speed through the holidays once more.  Justin has already started the countdown. 

No comments: