Friday, February 25, 2011

"100 Books to Read Before You Die"

I stumbled upon this list of 100 must read books.  Although the website was uber annoying, I think I might want to start on this list ASAP.  I found many other "Top 100" lists but I think this one had the most books that I have been wanting to read before getting distracted by something shiny and new by my favorite authors.

The List:
  1. The Hobbit - J. R. R. Tolkien
  2. The Road Less Traveled - Dr. Scott M. Peck
  3. Catcher in the Rye - J. D. Salinger
  4. In Cold Blood - Truman Capote
  5. To Kill a Mockingbird - Harper Lee
  6. War and Peace - Leo Tolstoy
  7. The Great Gatsby - F. Scott Fitzgerald
  8. The Three Musketeers - Alexandre Dumas
  9. Les Miserables - Victor Hugo
  10. World War Z - Max Brooks
  11. Education of a Wandering Man - Louis L'Amour
  12. Watership Down - Richard Adams
  13. The Iliad - Homer
  14. The Little Prince - Antoine De Saint-Exupery
  15. The Color Purple - Alice Walker
  16. Atlas Shrugged - Ayn Rand
  17. Paradise Lost - John Milton
  18. Ulysses - James Joyce
  19. Dracula - Bram Stoker
  20. Pride and Prejudice - Jane Austen
  21. A Tale of Two Cities - Charles Dickens
  22. Brave New World - Aldous Huxley
  23. 1984 - George Orwell
  24. Of Mice and Men - John Steinbeck
  25. Gone With the Wind - Margaret Mitchell
  26. Shogun - James Clavell
  27. For Whom the Bell Tolls - Ernest Hemingway
  28. The Stand - Stephen King
  29. Lady Chatterley's Lover - D. H. Lawrence
  30. Heart of Darkness - Joseph Conrad
  31. The Picture of Dorian Gray - Oscar Wilde
  32. War of the Worlds - H. G. Wells
  33. A Clockwork Orange - Anthony Burgess
  34. The Prince - Niccolo Machiavelli
  35. The Art of War - Sun Tzu
  36. The Scarlet Letter - Nathaniel Hawthorne
  37. Treasure Island - Robert Louis Stevenson
  38. Something Wicked This Way Comes - Ray Bradbury
  39. Starship Troopers - Robert A. Heinlein
  40. Deliverance - James Dickey
  41. Lord of the Flies - William Golding
  42. The Dark Knight Returns - Frank Miller
  43. Season of Mists - Neil Gaiman
  44. The Princess Bride - William Goldman
  45. Eaters of the Dead - Michael Crichton
  46. The Pillars of the Earth - Ken Follett
  47. Night - Eli Wiesel
  48. Exodus - Leon Uris
  49. Contact - Carl Sagan
  50. You Can't Go Home Again - Thomas Wolfe
  51. On the Road - Jack Kerouac
  52. Blubber - Judy Blume
  53. Foundation - Isaac Asimov
  54. The Stranger - Albert Camus
  55. The Trial - Franz Kafka
  56. Rabbit, Run - John Updike
  57. Crime and Punishment - Fyodor Dostoevsky
  58. The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe - C. S. Lewis
  59. The Long Goodbye - Raymond Chandler
  60. Absalom, Absalom! - William Faulkner
  61. Grendel - John Gardner
  62. Hour of the Dragon - Robert E. Howard
  63. The Executioner's Song - Norman Mailer
  64. Cop Hater - Ed McBain
  65. Moby Dick - Herman Melville
  66. A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court - Mark Twain
  67. McTeague - Frank Norris
  68. A Game of Thrones - George R. R. Martin
  69. Fight Club - Chuck Palahniuk
  70. Titus Groan - Mervyn Peake
  71. Slaughterhouse-Five - Kurt Vonnegut
  72. Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea - Jules Verne
  73. The Divine Comedy - Dante
  74. Don Quixote - Miguel De Cervantes
  75. Robinson Crusoe - Daniel Defoe
  76. Wuthering Heights - Emily Bronte
  77. The Wind in the Willows - Kenneth Grahame
  78. Charlotte's Web - E. B. White
  79. One Hundred Years of Solitude - Gabriel Garcia Marquez
  80. The Magus - John Fowles
  81. Foucault's Pendulum - Umberto Eco
  82. Middlemarch - George Eliot
  83. Frankenstein - Mary Shelley
  84. The Complete Sherlock Holmes - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
  85. The Complete Shakespeare - William Shakespeare
  86. Rosemary's Baby - Ira Levin
  87. I Am Legend - Richard Matheson
  88. The Compete Plays of Aristophanes - Aristophanes
  89. The Science of God - Gerald L. Schroeder
  90. The Maltese Falcon - Dashiell Hammett
  91. No Exit - Jean-Paul Sartre
  92. Alexander of Macedon - Harold Lamb
  93. Battle Royale - Koushun Takami
  94. We Have Always Lived in the Castle - Shirley Jackson
  95. Band of Brothers - Stephen Ambrose
  96. Ancient Inventions - Peter James and Nick Thorpe
  97. The Telltale Heart and Other Writings - Edgar Allan Poe
  98. The Call of the Wild - Jack London
  99. The Wonderful Wizard of Oz - Frank Baum
  100. The Canterbury Tales - Geoffrey Chauce
I've crossed out the ones I've already read (some were read during  my pre-teen years!) and I may substitute some of these books for others that won't bore me into madness (a-hem, Shakespeare) , but I will give each one a fair chance.  Thanks to my nerdy husband and my classics-loving sister Annette, I have about 10 of these books already on our shelves at home and another few ready to borrow. I will probably never get through this whole list but I plan on coming back to this post and crossing off the books I've completed.  Stay tuned!

P.S. I copy and pasted this list, not sure why some of those are highlighted. But I am sure that I am too lazy to go back and reformat the text :)

No comments: